West Nile Community Action for Rural Development (WN-CARD) is a Ugandan Community Based, Multidisciplinary, Non–Profit making, Indigenous Non-Governmental Organization working in West Nile Sub-Region of Uganda. The Organization was formed in 2015 in Arua District, and incorporated with Registrar of Companies in 2016 and Registered with National NGO Board in 2016 with registration Number INDPR 128284804NB and NGO Permit No. INDP125144804NB,
The Organization Head office is located in Arua City in the West Nile Sub-Region of Uganda, WN-CARD continues to make a profound and progressive contribution towards the development of rural communities and Refugees in Uganda in the areas of Environment and Energy, Education, Sustainable Agriculture, Protection (GBV and Sexual Reproductive Health Rights) gender and equality and Community Health and Enterprenual Skills Development
- WN-CARD also secured a One Year (2022) Funding Opportunity from Agakhan Foundation to implement a project titled “Food Support to 500 vulnerable refugee and host teenage girls in Rhino and Imvepi refugee settlements” and the Host Communities.
- WN-CARD worked in partnership with CARE International in Uganda in the Project title: Lifesaving protection, SRMH and WLiE support to venerable refugee and host women and girls in Rhinocamp and Imvepi refugee settlements a one Year Contract
- Year 2020, WN-CARD in partnership with DanChurchAid (DCA) in the implementation Protection and Restoration of the Environment and Promotion of Safe Access to Sustainable Energy green Livelihoods in Refugee and Host Communities in Rhino Camp, Omugo and Imvepi Refugee settlements.
- WN-CARD also partnered with Ewadri Valley Farm (formerly Integrated Farm Management Consult (IFMC) a private Nursery bed under environment, local governments of Arua and Yumbe, local CBOs and other National and International Organizations.
WN-CARD was built on two key words namely Community Empowerment and Rural Development. This is a deliberate focus on hard to reach communities to enable them grow out of poverty and indifference. The needs in the communities are still great but the resources are limited.
A Healthy, Productive, literate and economically vibrant community.
To Build the capacities of the communities for sustainable living.
The values of WN-CARD can be summarized in the acronym ‘STRENGTH‘ standing for:
- Simplicity– in the way we present ourselves and our interventions
- Team spirit– in the way we carry out activities together not in isolation
- Respect– in the way we treat one another
- Excellence– in the way we carry out our jobs
- Novelty– in the way we introduce and use creativity
- Guardianship– in the way we employ our resources
- Time consciousness– in the way we start and close our operations
- Honesty– in the way we communicate and act towards each other
WN-CARD is an indigenous (local) Non-Governmental organization. The organization has an operation permit to work in the whole of Uganda. However, currently, the Organization is visible in the Districts of Arua, Terego, Yumbe and Madi Okollo with potentials to expand to other districts in the West Nile Region and beyond.